v Quick Quote – It’s quick, smart and easy to apply:
At a glance
SMSF Life Insurance Cover is suitable for trustees of self managed superannuation funds to consider for members of the fund. SMSF Life is life insurance cover which pays a lump sum benefit on the death or Terminal Illness of an insured member. Plus, with SMSF Life you have the option to apply for Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) cover, for even greater protection and peace of mind.
With this valuable protection the insured member is covered worldwide, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day and the benefit can be used to support the beneficiaries of the insured member in accordance with the governing rules of your self managed superannuation fund and superannuation law.
What cover is available?
With SMSF Life you can apply for a life insurance benefit from $100,000 up to $1,500,000 (depending on the age of the insured member at the Policy Commencement Date). This includes cover for Terminal Illness, where 100% of the insured member’s life insurance benefit is paid in advance if the insured member suffers a Terminal Illness. $10,000 of the insured member’s life insurance benefit can also be advanced as a funeral benefit to assist with immediate funeral costs if the insured member dies.
You also have the option to apply for up to $1,500,000 Total and Permanent Disability cover depending on the age of the insured member at the Policy Commencement Date and the insured member’s life insurance Benefit Amount (the optional cover cannot exceed the insured member’s life insurance Benefit Amount).
Who can have this cover?
You can apply for SMSF Life if the insured member is a member of your self managed superannuation fund and is an Australian Resident aged 18-64 years.
If accepted, the life insurance cover can continue for life (as long as the premiums are paid when due).
Optional TPD cover can be applied for the insured member up to age 59 and, if accepted, cover can continue to age 65.
Please note this cover is only suitable for trustees of self managed superannuation funds to consider for up to a maximum of 4 members. You should check the governing rules of your fund and if in doubt, seek advice.
10 reasons why you should consider SMSF Life Cover:
- Suitable for trustees of self-managed superannuation funds to consider for members of the fund
- From $100,000 up to $1,500,000 life insurance cover to support the beneficiaries of the insured member
- Easy to apply online, with absolutely no medical or blood tests, in just a few simple steps.
- Terminal Illness benefit with payment of 100% of your life insurance benefit, so it can be used any way permitted under the governing rules of the self-managed superannuation fund and superannuation laws.
- Advance Funeral Benefit of $10,000 paid from the insured member’s life insurance benefit to assist with the immediate costs of the insured member’s funeral. Whether this amount can be paid from the self-managed superannuation fund, however, depends on the governing rules of the fund and superannuation laws.
- Option to apply for up to $1,500,000 Total and Permanent Disability cover on the life of the insured member. This amount can be paid to the insured member when permitted under the governing rules of the self-managed superannuation fund and superannuation laws.
- Worldwide cover, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so you are always protected.
- Automatic cost of living increases – up to 5% p.a. automatic benefit increase to help your cover retain its future value (age limits apply).
- Secure life insurance cover which can be maintained regardless of changes in the insured members health, occupation or pastimes.
- Flexible payments – pay either monthly or annually to the self-managed superannuation fund bank account or credit union account no additional charges or policy fees.
Summary of Cover
|Product feature||Life Cover||TPD Cover|
|Minimum age at entry||18 yrs||18 yrs|
|Maximum age at entry||64 yrs||59 yrs|
|Benefit expiry date||Policy cancellation||Policy Anniversary following your 65th birthday|
|Minimum sum insured||$100,000||$50,000|
|Maximum sum insured at Policy Commencement|
|Age 55-59||$ 750,000||$ 750,000|
|Age 60-64||$ 500,000||N/A|
(automatic unless you opt to decline the increase)
|5% p.a. each Policy Anniversary up to age 70||5% p.a. each Policy Anniversary up to age 64|
|Built in benefits||Terminal Illness benefit – an advance payment of 100% of the insured member’s life insurance Benefit Amount if the insured member suffers Terminal Illness.|
Advance Funeral benefit – an advance payment of $10,000 to assist with funeral costs if the insured member dies.